Wednesday, May 4, 2022

My Last Great Acts of Defiance

The beginnings 

of my last great act of defiance


Let me preface this piece by saying first of all that what you read here may be hard for some to take, and others to believe, but this is real. I have a laundry list of topics that I will be covering over the coming weeks that are immediate and serious threats to our basic freedoms. As with my other writings the words in the coming essays are my opinions and mine alone about what is happening in our country.

Some of the topics I will be talking about are things that can be verified, if you are willing to actually research what I say. these subjects include Women's rights to choose their own healthcare, the right to privacy in all aspects of life, Voting rights (who can, and how can they) just to list a few.

But for now I will start with this: 

Simple Respect

For the last, oh, 400 years there has been an egregious wrong perpetrated upon segments of American society. This wrong has not only been against First Nation Natives, Asians, Hispanics and especially our Black communities as well. What is saddest of all about the current state affairs in OUR country, is that we as citizens of this country have allowed this to happen. Enough has been enough since the 1860's, this country went through the civil rights movement and things should have changed then. I don't understand why, but I can venture a guess. Too many people have been marginalized for too long a period of time because many Caucasians have been scared of what would happen to us if things were fair and equal.  Well, personally I believe that many things have needed to change, and we as a nation have done little to nothing to make these changes so that we all can live by the "All men are created equal" that was written into the document that declared Americas independence from England.  Sadly I cannot speak for all white citizens but this needs to change, to echo the sentiments of many others on all sides "we need to do better", my only wish is that this would have happened when Lincoln emancipated the slaves in the 1860's.

The problem was, and still is, that there are far too many of us suffering from narrow mindedness leading the way into distress.  I don't believe in bringing up the names of those who have crossed the line of proper etiquette to belittle those who don't have the wherewithal to stand and speak up without being, essentially shouted down by those who don't agree with their point of view.  Again, it has taken too long for those who disagree with the status quo to raise our voices against this atrocity and be heard.  The one person who comes to mind is someone in a position that gives him a national format to spread his particular brand stupidity.  Anyone who takes a stance against fair and equal treatment for any citizen of this country is simply leading us down the path of destruction. We have the greatest nation in the world, and as a citizens of the country we have done nothing to help make the changes that are needed to help those who have little or nothing to rise up from their situations.

Recent events have started a groundswell of support for the black community that has been, at best, centuries overdue.  The people who could have and should have done something to make any changes have simply stood by with their hands in their pockets and done nothing.  Finally, that long overdue time has come, and my support goes to those who are doing everything they can to make a positive and lasting change to improve the standards of life for the underprivileged communities of color.  In my humble opinion, this is pure bull shit, (pardon the language).

My parents taught me that all people are the same no matter what the skin tone, language or ethnic origin, and that we should all work together.  Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority as this applies to those of us of the paler skin tone. My dad served this nation through 3 wars, the last one being Vietnam, I was born shortly before the assassinations of several men who were on the way to making the changes we should have seen already. I am speaking of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Medgar Evers, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, and Robert Kennedy.  These four men, and many more that I cannot name without it looking like a shopping list, died with the dream of making America a more fair and equal nation. Growing up as a son of a serviceman thankfully I was fortunate to live in a multicultural community for the first 12 years of my life, I never understood why some people felt their lives were more important than those who weren't from the same ethnic group. 

Don't be mistaken, I am not saying that the military has always treated non-whites fairly, but the opportunity was there. Eventually, the military was desegregated and the idea became that once an individual put on the uniform of whatever branch they chose or were drafted into they were all the same color. It wasn't easy to begin but over the years it has gotten better. Unfortunately, there will always be those with narrow minds and big mouths who will seek to damage or destroy any progress made by anyone who is trying to improve the lives of others.  My hope is that eventually, hopefully, we can and will ALL come together and work as a civilized nation to become more civilized to every citizen.  Looking back at our national past does not provide me with much if any hope of this ever happening. Why? The answer to this question is not an easy one to explain, it seems that any time real progress can be made someone will step in and throw a wrench into the process and it all grinds to a halt. It is my sincerest hope that someday soon this will stop and we will be able to make the changes that are so long needed.

For those who showed an interest in this particular essay please feel free to pass this along to friends, leave comments, either in favor or opposition to. I remember that we are guaranteed the right to freedom of speech in the first amendment to the Constitution so it is my full intention to exercise this right until whomever decides that freedom of speech isn't a right guaranteed by the original document prior to the bill of rights.

I was taught "Respect is earned" but I came to understand that their are things that about each individual that grants them automatic respect as human beings no matter what their familial ancestry may be. How much better off would be if we could respect each other for who they are no matter what?

Ask yourself one question:
    If they are willing to take away a woman's right to make healthcare choices that can, and often does improve their situation at the time, WHAT'S NEXT?

Thank you and good night. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment