Tuesday, May 17, 2022

LGBTQ

Acceptance v. Hypocrisy


Over the course of my life to date I have been blessed to meet people whom some people call outright immoral, queers, or deviants and therefore considered less than desirable. 

Acceptance means that we as Americans do what we should have been doing since this country was founded and accept all people of any color, ethnic, cultural, religion, sexual orientation or gender identification. Acceptance also means that we learn to understand that not everyone comes from the same belief system inside the family or their religion of choice. 

As the all "inclusive" society that we supposedly come from, those who are different from the "norm" for whatever reason are made to feel less than human and/or totally unwanted. This is not acceptance, it is hypocrisy in it's purest form!

If you are religious and honestly believe in the life Jesus Christ led, then you should not be able or willing to dispute any previous statement as well as any that follow.

Hypocrisy is what happens when an individual or group of individuals, decides that some people who do not live the same lifestyle as others, use this as their sole reason for their particular lack of recognition of the existence of people whose sexual orientation does not match with their particular beliefs and norms. 

Why is this hypocrisy? If these people were true believers in the teachings of Jesus Christ they would understand that we as the members of the human race should have been taught to love the sinner, but not the sin. Despite the fact that this statement is often misquoted or misrepresented as being Biblical, the truth of the matter is that it is not in the Bible in this form.

In the books of Psalms 5:4, we are taught that God hates sin, and Proverbs 8:13, we are taught that we should hate sin as well. Even as Jesus taught us that while we are to hate sin we are to pray for the sinner, love the sinner as we would ourselves. 

Matthew 7:1-5 clearly states the following “Judge not, that you be not judged.  For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.  Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Seeking to eliminate the rights of those whom live an alternative lifestyle is still wrong no matter how you may feel about the individuals you are casting sideways glances at, and muttered statements about. This is passing judgement. That is between you and your God or higher power, as is my belief in the fundamental human rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness by all citizens of this country no matter what!

I said in my opening comments that I have been blessed to meet many people from the many cultures and the various different colors of the LGBTQ community, more than a few have come from my own family, some of whom I have had the privilege to serve my country with in peace and in time of war. 

Was I ever worried about my safety around "those people"? Honestly, not in the least, I stood beside people of all colors, ethnic/cultural groups sexual orientations and religions without giving a thought to whether I could trust them to cover my ass in the deep shit, just as each and every one of them knew they could count of me to have their backs as well.

I am a straight, white married male with four children, eight grandchildren who has spent most of my adult life defending the document that founded this country. Which by default means that I stood in the breach to protect the rights of everyone in this once great nation no matter how narrow minded I believed some of the people I was defending were. We each have the right to believe as we choose, think and say what we choose. However, before we say anything it should be a given that we need have each done our due diligence on our topic of conversation. 

Before you jump squarely on my back about not being religious, let me assure you that I believe in the Bible and the Bible only as God's words to us as it applies to how we should live our lives in a way that makes us happy and gives glory to God.

For those whom do not believe in God, again that is your choice, and I respect it. Just don't expect me to like it. I am an anomaly in that I believe in God as my Higher power, Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and the Holy Spirit as the guide of my conscious; but I also realize that because of the choices I have made over the course of my life I know that the likelihood of my going to heaven are slim to none at all, but that does not mean that I cannot stand up for what I believe in whether you all like it or not.

I for one will not be surprised when the party of trump comes for those who don't follow the ideals that are being pushed by the party of trump. At which time those loyal followers (or so they thought) become the very people denied their basic human rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness simply because they believe (falsely) that they are immune to persecution. The party of trump are already stepping on the rights of women to choose when or even if they start a family and whom they want to start that family with when they are ready. Do you fall into this category? If so, all I can say is oops, sorry!

Wondering what comes next? Watch this space as some would say, but pay attention to what comes out of our three branches of government. I don't want to be the keeper of your soul, that is up to you and whatever you believe.

Thank you and good night. Peace

Citations:

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.

Afterthought: 

I was reading something today (23 May 2022) that provides a perfect example of Grace and acceptance.

Matthew (9 : 10 -13)  "And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners cane and sat down with him and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, "Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?"" But when Jesus heard that, He said unto them, "They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick."" "But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Romans 15 :7  "So accept each other just as Jesus Christ has accepted you; then God will be glorified." 

Should this not be the example we as humans attempt to set  for each other. 

Just something to think about. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment